About Our Family
Our little family consists of Tim, Hannah, and Calla. We are from Pittsburgh, PA and have been married for 6 years. In June 2017 we sold our home of 7 years and sold/donated most of our possessions to take on a new adventure. Here’s a little bit about each of us.
Tim (as written by Hannah) is a patient perfectionist who is oh-so-logical. He researches everything, and can figure anything out. He is truly a jack-of-all trades who is just as competent at building a house as he is at building software. He is a playful and caring dad who makes sure Calla gets enough dairy and is wearing sunblock. Tim is the brains and the muscle behind a lot of the renovation work in Trudy, backed up by the 7 years’ worth of experience under his belt from previous home renovations.
Tim’s happy place is working hard on a complex project and emerging from the difficulty with a masterpiece.
Hannah (as written by Tim) doesn’t hesitate to face hard questions, put in hard work, or go against the grain. She’s great at asking “why” and seeing the big picture when everyone else is lost in the details. She’s able to make decisions quickly and pursues goals ruthlessly. She has an endless amount of drive and her motivation is contagious. She’s the reason we began pursuing our mobile lifestyle and the reason we’ll be successful. She manages to immerse Calla in an active and fulfilling environment, work on her business, exercise daily, and be an amazing partner and mother every single day.
Hannah’s happy place is sitting on a beach chair, in the ocean surf, planning out her next business idea. Or just basking in the sun.
Calla just turned one. She has an independent, determined, social, and sweet spirit. She’s not afraid of much – she loves new experiences and new people. Calla has an affinity for the outdoors. As a colicky infant, the only thing that would calm her was sitting outside by the pond and waterfall at our old house. This love of nature has been a constant, and she spent a lot of time this summer picking (and squishing) tomatoes, playing in the dirt, and splashing in her baby pool.
About Our Decision to go Full-Time RVing
We have written in detail about this decision (see Tim’s post) but to sum it up, we wanted to live our lives according to what is important to us. We took a look at the way we were spending our days, and the hours spent were not aligning with our priorities.
All of this was compounded when the air pollution around our house got really severe and we felt it was no longer a healthy environment for any of us, especially not the young lungs of a baby. We were interested in moving to the city of Pittsburgh and went to some open houses but could not get excited about buying another house. That’s when we began to more seriously explore if the RV idea was feasible for us. We wanted to take the plunge into full-time RV life before Calla needed to go to school.
About Our Rig
Our rig is a 2006 Damon Intruder (nicknamed “Trudy”). She is a Class A motorhome and is 38 feet long. Damon was purchased by Thor, therefore there are no longer any Damon’s being rolled off the lines at a factory. We will detail the months of research, dealer visits, etc in separate posts, but we deliberated long and hard before purchasing our rig. If it was the right choice remains to be seen!
Trudy is a gas motorhome and has a Ford V-10 chassis. She had about 23,000 miles on the odometer when we bought her.
Trudy has received some significant renovations and enhancements since we’ve had her. Most were done before we left, but some were done on the road. Here’s an ever growing list:
- Primed and painted all walls a natural white
- New vinyl floor in the living room
- New custom curtains on every window (white in the living area, gray blackouts in the bedroom)
- New couch and modular table/desk (property mounted to RV)
- Faux tile backsplash in kitchen
- Faux tile backsplash in bathroom
- Faux distressed wood wallpaper behind bed
- New entry stairway carpet and treads
- Crib area in bedroom with room dividing curtain
- Replaced old CRT TV with LCD TV (with a custom mount over the gigantic hole)
- New, modern LED wall sconces and ceiling light above living room table
- Removed mirror and wall cabinet and replaced with faux white brick wall
- Added 110v outlets with 4 USB ports for charging
- Wall-mounted soap/shampoo dispenser in shower
- LED bulbs in all 12v lights on the house side
- new LED exterior light on both sides of Trudy
- Added Hansgrohe Talis M kitchen faucet with pull-out sprayer
- New Dometic 310 porcelain toilet
- Roadmaster reflex steering stabilizer
- Added a 2-person bench seat from a 2015 Ford Transit van
- Eez tire pressure monitoring system for Trudy and toad
- WeBoost 4G-X cellular booster (wired into 12v system)
- 4″ memory foam mattress topper
Possible future upgrades:
- New shocks
- Sumo springs
- 5 Star tune for the ECU
Rolling On A Whim - Our RV Life
We are a family of 3 who began full-time life in an RV in August 2017. The only real plan is to enjoy ourselves and see both the hidden gems + the main attractions in the USA. We hope you'll follow along as we adjust to RV life with a baby, and reflect on what it took to get here.